WINTHROP, Mass. – A third-straight GNAC championship was not in the cards for the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team. The Wildcats lost 5-0 to Colby-Sawyer College on Sunday at the Winchester Indoor Tennis Center.
The loss ends JWU's fall season with a 12-5 mark. The Chargers improved to 10-2 and receive the conference's automatic bid for next spring's NCAA Tournament.
Johnson & Wales' best chance for a doubles win came at number one. Claire Parry and Drew Bobey were up 4-3, but lost 8-5. Bobey was on the verge of winning her number five singles bout when the match was stopped. The Chargers clinched the championship with wins at number one and three singles.
JWU placed a pair of players on the all-tournament team in Parry and senior Delaney Macchirole.
The Wildcats will resume action during the spring.
Colby-Sawyer , Johnson & Wales
Oct. 21, 2018 at Winchester, Mass. (Winchester Indoor Tennis Center)
1. Yashu Yang (CSCW) def. Claire Parry (JWU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Maddy Gemerek (CSCW) vs. Lauren Torre (JWU) 1-6, 2-4, unfinished
3. Aislinn O'Connor (CSCW) def. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) vs. Anna Kopituk (CSCW) 6-1, 5-3 unfinished
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) vs. Alexa Conlin (CSCW) 6-2, 2-5 unfinished
6. Hilary Boucher (CSCW) vs. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) 6-4, 2-2 unfinished
1. Anna Kopituk/Yashu Yang (CSCW) def. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) 8-5
2. Maddy Gemerek/Aislinn O'Connor (CSCW) def. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) 8-2
3. Hilary Boucher/Alexa Conlin (CSCW) def. Lauren Torre/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) 8-4
Johnson & Wales: 12-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1, 3)