WINTHROP, Mass. – Two weeks ago, Eastern Nazarene College won the final match on the court to defeat the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team. With a spot in the GNAC finals on the line, the Wildcats turned the tables to beat the Lions, 5-4.
Johnson & Wales improved to 12-4 and will take on Colby-Sawyer in Sunday's finals at the Winchester Indoor Tennis Center.
Unlike the first matchup, senior Delaney Macchirole was a winner in the final match on the court. She fought off three match points to win 7-6 (5), 3-6, 7-6 (5) in the deciding match.
Gabriella Velazquez evened the match at 2-2 with her 6-1, 6-0 win at number six. The Lions pulled ahead, 3-2, but Drew Bobey won 6-3, 6-1 at number five to tie the match. ENC was a point away with a win at number one, but Macchirole came through in the clutch.
Johnson & Wales lost 8-1 to Colby-Sawyer in the regular season.
Johnson & Wales 5, Eastern Nazarene 4
Oct. 20, 2018 at Winchester, Mass. (Winchester Indoor Tennis Center)
1. Sharon Biondi (ENC) def. Claire Parry (JWU) 6-4, 7-6 (4), 6-3
2. Emily Ruttkowski (ENC) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Adele Duvall (ENC) def. 7-6 (5), 3-6, 7-6 (5)
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Veronica Jimenez (ENC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Jacquelin Arretche (ENC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Annelise Sherrill (ENC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Adele Duval / Emily Ruttkowski (ENC) def. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) 8-3
2. Jacquelin Arretche / Sharon Biodi (ENC) def. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) 8-3
3. Lauren Torre/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Veronica Jimenez / Alecia Tubbs(ENC) 8-1
Johnson & Wales: 12-4
Eastern Nazarene: 10-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,5,1,4,3)