PROVIDENCE, RI – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team took its first step towards a third-straight GNAC Championship on Wednesday. The Wildcats defeated Simmons University, 5-0, in the first round.
Johnson & Wales improved to 11-4 while the Sharks season ended at 4-10.
JWU moves on to face Eastern Nazarene on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. in the semifinals. The match will be played at the Winchester Indoor Tennis Center.
The Wildcats got out to a great start by sweeping all three doubles matches. First off was Claire Parry and Drew Bobey with their 8-1 triumph at number one. At number three, Lauren Torre and Katherine Ledesma were the next ones off with their 8-3 win. Down 2-1 early, the number two tandem of Delaney Macchirole and Kourtney Moore were 8-3 winners.
JWU wasted little time getting the two singles wins it needed for the team victory. Moore was a 6-1, 6-0 victor over Michelle Medici at number four. Parry completed the win with her 6-1, 6-2 triumph at number one against Nickie Nguyen.
Eastern Nazarene narrowly defeated the Wildcats, 5-4, during the regular season.
Johnson & Wales 5, Simmons University 0
Oct 17, 2018 at Providence, RI (Rhode Island College)
1. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Nickie Nguyen (SIM) 6-1, 6-2
2. Lauren Torre (JWU) vs. Marissa Johnson (SIM) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) vs. Paola Rios (SIM) 6-5, unfinished
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Michelle Medici (SIM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) vs. Sarah Mariski (SIM) 6-1, 5-0, unfinished
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) vs. Carrie St. Peter (SIM) 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
1. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Nickie Nguyen/Marissa Johnson (SIM) 8-1
2. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Michelle Medici/Paola Rios (SIM) 8-3
3. Lauren Torre/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Megan McKeever/Sarah Mariski (SIM) 8-3
Simmons University 4-10
Johnson & Wales 11-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,1)