RIVIERSIDE, RI – In the final conference match of the regular season, it was only appropriate that a senior came through with the deciding victory. The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team picked up a 5-4 victory over Regis College on Saturday at Centre Court.
The win improved JWU's GNAC record to 5-2 and pushed the Wildcats ahead of the Pride for third-place in GNAC standings. The Wildcats ended the regular season 9-4 overall.
The win gives JWU the third seed for the upcoming GNAC Tournament. The Wildcats will host Simmons at 2 p.m. on Wednesday.
The Wildcats raced out to a 4-2 lead with three-straight singles wins. Drew Bobey prevailed 6-1, 6-0 at number five and Gabriela Velazquez won at number six, 6-3, 6-1. Claire Parry took her number one singles match, 7-5, 6-3. Regis got its first singles win at number two. After narrowly losing the first set, Macchirole was nearly unstoppable at number three as she finished off the team victory with a 5-7, 6-1, 6-0 win.
Before hosting the Sharks, Johnson & Wales goes on the road Sunday to take on Salve Regina at 12 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 5, Regis 4
Oct 13, 2018 at Riverside RI (Centre Court)
1. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Carly Donovan (RC) 7-5, 6-3
2. Ariana McCormack (RC) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Katasha Jarvis (RC) 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
4. Katelyn Mogelnicki (RC) def. Kourtney Moore (JWU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Ginger Boodakian (RC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Gracie Jarest (RC) 6-3, 6-1
1. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Katasha Jarvis/Ariana McCormack (RC) 8-5
2. Carly Donovan/Katelyn Mogelnicki (RC) def. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Kaeleigh FitzPatrick/Lauren Mogelnicki (RC) def. Victoria Pizzulo/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) 8-5
Regis: 7-3, 4-3 GNAC
Johnson & Wales 9-4, 5-2 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,6,1,2,3,4)