QUINCY, Mass. – Rain postponed the women's tennis match between Johnson & Wales University and Eastern Nazarene College four times. The Lions won the final match on the court to slip past the Wildcats, 5-4, on Tuesday.
Johnson & Wales dropped to 7-3 overall, 3-2 in the GNAC. ENC – who joined the GNAC as an affiliate member in women's tennis this year – improved to 10-0 and 6-0 in the league.
The match started Monday but was suspended because of rain with ENC leading 2-1, but it was almost 2-1 in JWU's favor. Lauren Torre and Katherine Ledesma cruised to an 8-3 decision at number three doubles. The Lions took number two doubles and just eked out a 9-7 win at number one.
During the resumption on Tuesday, JWU jumped out to a 3-2 lead by taking the first two singles wins. Kourtney Moore was a 6-0, 6-2 winner at number four over Veronica Jimenez and Drew Bobey defeated Jaquelin Arretche, 6-0, 6-0, at number five.
The Lions responded by winning at number two and one singles. Gabriela Velazquez evened the match at 4-4 with her 6-0, 6-3 triumph at number six over Annelise Sherrill. Unfortunately, Adele Duvall won the third set 7-5 over Delaney Macchirole at number three to seal the team triumph.
JWU is on the road Wednesday to face Saint Joseph (Conn.) at 3:30 p.m.
Eastern Nazarene 5, Johnson & Wales 4
Oct. 9, 2018 at Quincy, Mass. (ENC Tennis Courts)
1. Sharon Biondi (ENC) def. Claire Parry (JWU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Emily Ruttkowski (ENC) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Adele Duvall (ENC) def. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Veronica Jimenez (ENC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Jacquelin Arretche (ENC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Annelise Sherrill (ENC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Adele Duval / Emily Ruttkowski (ENC) def. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) 9-7
2. Jacquelin Arretche / Sharon Biodi (ENC) def. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) 8-3
3. Lauren Torre/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Veronica Jimenez / Annelise Sherrill (ENC) 8-3
Johnson & Wales: 7-4, 3-2 GNAC
Eastern Nazarene: 10-0, 6-0 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,5,2,1,6,3)