DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team was down after doubles, but rallied during singles to earn a victory on Thursday. The Wildcats defeated UMass Dartmouth, 5-3.
JWU won for the second time in two days to improve to 5-3. The Corsairs fell to 4-3.
Johnson & Wales tied the match when Gabriela Velazquez won 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 at number six. The Wildcats pulled ahead when Kourtney Moore took down Rachel Aftandilian, 6-0, 6-0, at number four. Bobey proceeded to win her number five singles match 6-3, 6-0. Securing the team triumph was Delaney Macchirole when she took down Michelle Aftandilian at number three, 6-4, 6-4.
The Wildcats get back into GNAC action Saturday when they host Simmons at 5:45 p.m. at Centre Court.
Johnson & Wales 5, UMass Dartmouth 3
Sep 27, 2018 at Dartmouth, Mass. (UMD Courts)
1. Jenna Lahaie (UMD) def. Claire Parry (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Lauren Torre (JWU) vs. Jaime Fastino (UMD) no result
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Michelle Aftandilian (UMD) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Rachel Aftandilian (UMD) 6-0, 6-0
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Monika Reining (UMD) 6-3, 6-0
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Emma Sokolovsky (UMD) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
1. Jenna Lahaie/Jaime Fastino (UMD) def. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) 8-6
2. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Monika Reining/Rachel Aftandilian (UMD) 8-2
3. Michelle Aftandilian/Jordan Martin (UMD) def. Lily Votta/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) 8-0
Johnson & Wales 5-3
UMass Dartmouth 4-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,1,3)