WINCHESTER, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team is one step closer to back-to-back GNAC titles. The Wildcats defeated Suffolk, 5-0, in the semifinals on Saturday at the Winchester Indoor Tennis Center.
Johnson & Wales ran its record to 14-1 while the Rams' season ended with an 8-7 mark. The Wildcats will take on the winner of the Regis-Simmons match in the GNAC finals on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.
JWU got out to a fast start by sweeping doubles. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) prevailed 8-1 at number one. Down 6-3 at number two, Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) rallied to win 9-7. Completing the doubles sweep was Thapenga Flores (Pasadena, Texas) and Claire Parry (Westport, Conn.) with their 8-6 triumph at number three.
Cohen was also the first one off the court in singles. She defeated Delaney Dunlap, 6-0, 6-1 at number one. Wrapping up the team victory at number six was Olson as she took down Megan French, 6-1, 6-0.
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Delaney Dunlap (SUF) 6-0, 6-1
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Elena Cisneros Garcia (SUF) 6-2, 3-1 Unfinished
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Keely Hardy (SUF) 4-6, 3-1 Unfinished
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Ahilya Malhoutra (SUF) 6-1, 0-6, 1-0 Unfinished
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Danlyn Medou (SUF) 6-1, 3-3 Unfinished
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Meagan French (SUF) 6-1, 6-0
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Elena Cisneros Garci/Isabel Rathlev (SUF) 8-1
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Keely Hardy/Delaney Dunlap (SUF) 9-7
3. Thapenga Flores/Claire Parry (JWU) def. Danlyn Medou/Ahilya Malhoutra (SUF) 8-6
Johnson & Wales: 14-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,6)