PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season on a high note. The Wildcats posted a 9-0 victory over Salve Regina on Sunday.
Johnson & Wales improved to 13-1, the most regular season wins in school history. The Seahawks dropped to 2-9.
Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) wasted little time in winning their number two doubles match, 8-0. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) were 8-2 winners at number one. Victoria Pizzulo (Lafayette, NJ) and Claire Parry (Westport, Conn.) completed the sweep at number three with an 8-3 win.
Cohen was the first player off the court in singles as she rolled to an 8-1 win over Laura Krick. Senior Taylor Klein (Johnson, N.Y.) followed with an 8-6 win that clinched the team victory.
Johnson & Wales turns its attention to the GNAC Tournament. The Wildcats play the winner of the Saint Joseph/Suffolk match at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Laura Krick (SRU) 8-1
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Priscilla Gaspard (SRU) 8-6
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Erin Stangel (SRU) 8-1
4. Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Abigail Burke (SRU) 8-5
5. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Darcy Carlin (SRU) 8-2
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Claire Wulfman (SRU) 8-2
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Erin Stangel/Laura Krick (SRU) 8-2
2. Madison Hernandez/Holly Olson (JWU) def. Priscilla Gaspard/Darcy Carlin (SRU) 8-0
3. Claire Parry/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) def. Anna Godshalk/Abigail Burke (SRU) 8-3
Salve Regina 2-10
Johnson & Wales 13-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)