RIVERSIDE, R.I. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team didn't take long to win their final conference match of the regular season. The Wildcats finished the GNAC slate undefeated after a 9-0 victory against Mount Ida on Saturday at Centre Court.
Johnson & Wales improved to 12-1 overall, 6-0 in the GNAC. The Wildcats only dropped three games the entire match. The Mustangs fell to 1-10 and 0-6 in the league.
Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) were the only ones to lose a game during doubles, but they were the first ones off the court, winning 8-1 at number two. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) at number one as well as the number three tandem of Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) and Victoria Pizzulo (Lafayette, NJ) both won 8-0.
JWU only dropped two games during singles as five of the six bouts were sweeps. Olson was the first one to post a win as she prevailed over Hannah Bassett at number six. Hernandez put up two goose eggs against Amanda Garner at number five to complete the team victory.
Johnson & Wales completes the regular season on Sunday when it takes on Salve Regina at 11 a.m. The match will be played at Rhode Island College.
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Ginger Boodakian (IDA) 6-2, 6-0
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Molly O'Donnell (IDA) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Cierra Peaslee (IDA) 6-0, 6-0
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Yuliana Chairez (IDA) 6-0, 6-0
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Amanda Garner (IDA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Hannah Bassett (IDA) 6-0, 6-0
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Cierra Peaslee/Ginger Boodakian (IDA) 8-0
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Yuliana Chairez/Molly O'Donnell (IDA) 8-1
3. Ashley Hartford/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) def. Amanda Garner/Hannah Bassett (IDA) 8-0
Mount Ida 1-10, 0-6 GNAC
Johnson & Wales 12-1, 6-0 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,5,4,2,3,1)