WESTON, Mass. – The fight for the top spot in the upcoming GNAC Tournament got a little less congested on Wednesday. The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team went on the road to defeat Regis, 8-1.
Johnson & Wales upped its record to 3-0 in the GNAC, 9-1 overall. The Pride suffered their first conference loss, falling to 3-1 and 4-2 overall.
JWU set the tone by sweeping the doubles matches in convincing fashion. Thapenga Flores (Pasadena, Texas) and Claire Parry (Westport, Conn.) at number three and the number two tandem of Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) each posted 8-1 victories. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) wrapped up the third point with their 8-3 decision at number one.
Macchirole was the first one to win her singles match, taking a 6-0, 6-0 decision at number four over Amy DiPace. Olson secured the team victory when she blanked Kailey Myers, 6-0, 6-0 at number six.
Johnson & Wales has another big match this weekend when it travels to Simmons for a 12 p.m. contest on Saturday. The Sharks are just a game back in the standings at 3-1.
Johnson & Wales 8, Regis 1
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Carly Donovan (RC) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Kat Jarvis (RC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Carly Scanlon (RC) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-4, 75
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Amy DiPace (RC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Sara Kanarkiewcz (RC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Kailey Myers (RC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Carly Donovan/Kat Jarvis (RC) 8-3
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Amy DiPace /Carly Scanlon (RC) 8-1
3. Thapenga Flores/Claire Parry (JWU) def. Sara Kanarkiewcz /Gracie Jarest (RC) 8-1
Regis: 4-2, 3-1 GNAC
Johnson & Wales 9-1, 3-0 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,6,5,2,1,3)