RIVERSIDE, R.I. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team rolled to its third victory in a row. The Wildcats swept the University of Saint Joseph, 9-0, on Saturday at Centre Court.
The Wildcats improved to 2-0 in the GNAC and 8-1 overall. The Blue Jays dropped to 3-0 in the league and 0-5 overall.
Johnson & Wales took all three of the doubles matches. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) were the first ones off the court with their 8-0 triumph at number one. Thapenga Flores (Pasadena, Texas) and Claire Parry (Westport, Conn.) posted an 8-4 victory at number three. Completing the sweep at number two was Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) as they won 8-5.
JWU got the first two singles points it needed to wrap up the team victory without dropping a game. Olson won 6-0, 6-0 over Emily McAllister at number six and Taylor Klein (Johnson, N.Y.) posted the same score in her number two match.
The Wildcats continue conference action on Wednesday with a 4:30 p.m. math at Regis.
Johnson & Wales 9, Saint Joseph 0
September 30, 2017 at Riverside, RI (Centre Court)
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Lucy Roberge (USJ) 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (7)
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Leah Nguyen (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Ashley Savino (USJ) 6-1, 6-0
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 6-1, 6-1
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Catherine Baum (USJ) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (4)
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Emily McAllister (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Leah Nguyen/Lucy Roberge (USJ) 8-2
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Catherine Baum/Ashley Savino (USJ) 8-5
3. Thapenga Flores/Claire Parry (JWU) def. Domonique Carnot/Emily McAllister (USJ) 8-4
Saint Joseph: 0-5, 0-3 GNAC
Johnson & Wales 8-1, 2-0 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,2,4,1,5)