PROVIDENCE, R.I. – After a tough 5-4 loss at Springfield last season, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team turned the tables on the Pride. A tiebreaker victory at number three doubles gave the Wildcats the momentum into singles as they prevailed 6-3 on Tuesday.
Johnson & Wales improved to 7-1 while the Pride dropped to 1-1.
The teams split the first two doubles matches. Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) rolled to an 8-0 win at number two. The Pride prevailed 8-4 at number one. Down 4-2 in the tiebreaker at number three, Thapenga Flores (Pasadena, Texas) and Claire Parry (Westport, Conn.) rallied to win the tiebreaker, 7-5, and get the second doubles point.
The Wildcats pushed their lead to 3-1 when Olson prevailed, 6-2, 6-1 at number six over Amanda Hill. Putting JWU one point away from the team victory was Hernandez as she beat Rachel Ahlmeyer 6-3, 6-3 at number five. After Springfield got the win at number one, Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) clinched the team victory with her 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 triumph at number four.
Johnson & Wales is back in conference action on Saturday when it hosts Saint Joseph at 5 p.m. The match will be played at Centre Court.
Johnson & Wales 6, Springfield College 3
1. Cara Freadman (SC) def. Nina Cohen (JWU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Emily Etter (SC) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (6)
3. Rachel Litchfield (SC) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 7-6 (2), 4-6, 1-0 (4)
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Addie Kendall (SC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Rachel Ahlmeyer (SC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Amanda Hill (SC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Cara Freadman/Emily Etter (SC) def. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) 8-4
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Rachel Litchfield/Addie Kendall (SC) 8-0
3. Thapenga Flores/Claire Parry (JWU) def. Rachel Ahlmeyer/Hailey Higgins (SC) 9-8 (7-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,5,1,4,2,3)