NEW HAVEN, Conn.. – The conference portion of the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis schedule started on a good note. The Wildcats rolled to a 9-0 victory at Albertus Magnus on Wednesday.
Johnson & Wales improved to 5-1 overall while the Falcons fell to 3-2, 1-1 in the league.
It was a fast start for the Wildcats as they took all three doubles matches. Victoria Pizzulo (Lafayette, NJ) and Thapenga Flores (Pasadena, Texas) were the first two off the court with their 8-1 win at number three. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) rolled at number one, winning 8-3. Completing the sweep was Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) with their 8-4 triumph at number two.
Producing the first singles victory was Gabriela Velazquez (La Romana, D.R.) as she won 6-1, 6-0 at number five. In her collegiate debut, Katherine Ledesma (Coral Springs, Fla.) won 6-1, 6-1 at number six to secure the team victory. Also playing in her first collegiate match was Claire Parry (Weatport, Vt.) as she was a 6-1, 6-0 winner at number four.
Up next for the Wildcats is a Sunday contest versus Clark at 12 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 9, Albertus Magnus 0
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Alicia Weaver (AMC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Jessica Coughlin (AMC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Izzy Sabino (AMC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Kelsea Wildman (AMC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Nallely Magana (AMC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Paige Williams (AMC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Alicia Weaver/ Izzy Sabino (AMC) 8-3
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Jessica Coughlin / Kelsea Wildman (AMC) 8-4
3. Thapenga Flores/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) def. Nallely Magana / Paige Williams (AMC) 8-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,1,4,3,2)