NEW LONDON, N.H. – For the first time this season, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team came out on the short end of a dual match. The Wildcats dropped an 8-1 decision at Colby-Sawyer on Saturday.
The loss dropped Johnson & Wales' record to 3-1 while the Chargers improved to 6-0.
Johnson & Wales got its lone point of the day when Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) was a 6-1, 6-1 winner over Maddy Gemerek at number four singles. Lauren Torre (New Fairfield, Conn.) nearly forced a third set at number three but was defeated 6-3, 7-6 (4).
The Wildcats start conference action on Wednesday when they travel to Albertus Magnus for a 3 p.m. match.
Johnson & Wales 1, Colby-Sawyer 8
1. Ashley Woodside (CSC) def. Nina Cohen (JWU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Yashu Yang (CSC) def. Taylor Klein (JWU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Evelyn Miller (CSC) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Maddy Gemerek (CSC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Aislinn O'Connor (CSC) def. Madison Hernandez (JWU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Lauren Blanchard (CSC) def. Holly Olson (JWU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Ashley Woodside/Yashu Yang (CSC) def. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) 8-1
2. Aislinn O'Connor/Evelyn Miller (CSC def. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) 8-6
3. Lauren Blanchard/Maddy Gemerek (CSC) def. Ashley Hartford/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) 8-2
Order of Finish: