DARTMOUTH, Mass. – For the first time this season, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team needed to rally late in the match to pull out a victory. The Wildcats swept the last three singles matches to claim a 6-3 decision at UMass Dartmouth.
Johnson & Wales improved to 4-0 while the Corsairs lost for the first time this season to fall to 3-1.
The Wildcats and Corsairs split the first two doubles matches, with Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) tallying an 8-6 decision at number two. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) gave JWU a 2-1 lead after doubles with their 9-8 decision at number one.
Olson won 6-3, 6-3 at number five over Samantha Rollings to put JWU up, 3-2. After UMD tied the match, Macchirole prevailed 6-4, 6-0 at number three to take the lead. Hernandez pulled out a 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 win at number four over Jaime Fastino to pick up the deciding point.
The Wildcats travel to Colby-Sawyer on Saturday for a 1 p.m. contest.
Johnson & Wales 6, UMass Dartmouth 3
1. Jenna Lahaie( (UMD) def. Nina Cohen (JWU) 2-6, 1-6, 2-6
2. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Kerry Magoon (UMD) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Mollie McCaffrey (UMD) 6-4, 6-0
4. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Jaime Fastino (UMD) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Samantha Rollings (UMD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Molina Oung (UMD) def. Ashley Hartford (JWU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Alisha Silva/Amanda Strickland (UMD) 9-8 (1)
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Alison Scagnelli/Bojana Roman (UMD) 8-6
3. Angelique Gray/Rachel Tarantino (UMD) Ashley Hartford/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) 9-7
Order of Finish:
Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,1,3,4,2)