WORCESTER, Mass – With the NCAA Championships on the horizon for the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team, head coach Devin Kitterick has stepped up the team's spring schedule. The Wildcats went on the road and were defeated by Division I Holy Cross, 7-0, on Sunday.
The loss dropped the Wildcats to 14-3. The Crusaders improved to 3-14.
Using the Division I scoring format, Holy Cross won all three doubles to win the doubles point. JWU nearly won at number three where Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) lost 9-7.
The Wildcats fought hard in the singles matches, but couldn't come up with a victory. Freshman Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) lost a third-set tiebreaker at number two against Katie Elia.
Johnson & Wales wraps up the regular season on April 30 when it travels to Clark University for a 1 p.m. contest.
Holy Cross 7, Johnson & Wales 0
1. Allison Reiling (HC) def. Morgan Thompson (JWU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Katie Elia (HC) def. Nina Cohen (JWU) 6-3, 0-6, 1-0 (5)
3. Isabela Bagi (HC) def. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. 6-3, 7-6 (3)
4. Morgan McGuire (HC) def. Taylor Klein (JWU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Jennifer Kary (HC) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Caroline Kam (HC) def. Madison Hernandez (JWU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Katie Elia/Isabela Bagi (HC) def. Morgan Thompson/ Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) 8-4
2. Allison Reiling/ Morgan McGuire (HC) def. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) 8-4
3. Eleanor Fulghum/ Fiona Busser (HC) def. Holly Olson/ Madison Hernandez (JWU) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,6,2,4,3,1)