WINCHESTER, Mass – As has been the case for most of the season, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team rolled to victory. This time the stakes were a little higher as the Wildcats topped St. Joseph (CT), 5-0, on Saturday in the GNAC Tournament semifinal.
Johnson & Wales got off to a fast start by sweeping all three doubles points. The team of Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) won quickly at number three, 8-0. The Wildcats got an 8-3 victories from the number one tandem of Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) and Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil). Wrapping up the sweep was Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) at number two with an 8-6 triumph.
Hernandez was first off the court in single, rolling to a 6-0, 6-0 triumph at number six over Domonique Carnot. Wrapping up the team victory was Silva Simoes as she took down Sakinah Abdulsalam, 6-1, 6-1.
Johnson & Wales moves on to its second-straight GNAC final. The Wildcats face Simmons in a rematch of last year's title bout on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 5, St. Joseph 0
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Rebecca Mauri (USJ) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Lucy Roberge (USJ) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Sakinah Abdulsalam (USJ) def. 6-1, 6-1
4. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Ashley Savino (USJ) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
5. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Tara Smith (USJ) 6-2, 0-0, unfinished
6. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
1. Morgan Thompson/ Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Rebecca Mauri / Lucy Roberge (USJ) 8-3
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Sakinah Abdulsalam / Ashley Savino (USJ) 8-6
3. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Leah Nguyen/ Domonique Carnot (USJ) 8-0
Johnson & Wales: 12-2
St. Joseph: 7-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6, 3)