PROVIDENCE, RI – After suffering its first loss of the season on Saturday, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team got back in the win column Monday. The Wildcats made quick work of Albertus Magnus, downing the Falcons, 9-0, at Rhode Island College.
JWU improved to 10-1 overall, 5-1 in the GNAC. The Falcons fell to 4-6, 2-4 in the league.
Johnson & Wales started the afternoon by only dropping two games while sweeping all three doubles matches. Senior Samantha Gambino (Middletown, Conn.) and junior Taylor Klein (Johnson, NY) won 8-0 at number three. A pair of 8-1 decisions were turned in by Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) at number one as well as Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) at number two.
Gambino produced the first singles victory as she defeated Nallely Magana, 6-0, 6-1 at number five. Wrapping up the team victory was freshman Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Izzy Sabino at number three.
The Wildcats go on the road Wednesday when they take on Springfield at 4 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 9, Albertus Magnus 0
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Zaida Velazco (AMC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Alicia Weaver (AMC) 6-4, 6-0
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Izzy Sabino (AMC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Kelsea Wildman (AMC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Samantha Gambino (JWU) def. Nallely Magana (AMC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) def. Paige Williams (AMC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Morgan Thompson/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Zaida Velazco/Kelsea Wildman (AMC) 8-1
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Izzy Sabino/Alicia Weaver (AMC) 8-1
3. Samantha Gambino/Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Cayce Andrews/Dayanlee Quezada-Coe (AMC) 8-0
Albertus Magnus 4-6, 2-4 GNAC
Johnson & Wales 10-1,5-1 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,3,1,6,4,2)