BOSTON – Coming into Saturday's women's tennis match at Suffolk, the close victories had been going Johnson & Wales' way. Unfortunately, the close matches went to the Rams' as they gave the Wildcats their first loss of the season, 5-3.
Johnson & Wales had only lost one doubles point all season, but dropped a pair to Suffolk. The only victory came at number two where Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) won the tiebreaker 7-1 for the 9-8 (1) victory.
The Rams picked up singles victories at numbers six, one and two to clinch the team win. Cohen and Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) suffered their first singles losses of the year. Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) won by default at number three and Lauren Torre (New Fairfield, Conn.) won 6-4, 6-1 at number five over Isabel Rathlev.
JWU will look to get back in the win column when it plays Albertus Magnus at 1 p.m. on Monday. The match will be played at Rhode Island College.
Suffolk 5, Johnson & Wales 3
1. Valentina Medina (SUF) def. Morgan Thompson (JWU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Aidiana Sagyndykova (SUF) def. Nina Cohen (JWU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Eugenia Skorobogatova (SUF) 6-0, 6-7 (5), Default
4. Taylor Klein (JWU) vs. Elena Cisneros Garcia (SUF) 7-6 (2), Did not finish
5. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Isabel Rathlev (SUF) 6-4, 6-1
6. Danlyn Medou (SUF) def. Ashley Hartford (JWU) 7-5, 6-4
1. Valentina Medina/Isabel Rathlev (SUF) def. Morgan Thompson/ Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) 8-2
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Aidiana Sagyndykova/ Elena Cisneros Garcia (SUF) 9-8 (1)
3. Eugenia Skorobogatova/ Christina Texidor def. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) 8-4
Johnson & Wales: 8-1, 3-1 GNAC
Suffolk: 6-7, 3-1 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,2,3,5,4)