RIVERSIDE, RI – It had been more than a decade since the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team defeated Simmons College. The Wildcats made up for lost time with a 9-0 defeat of the Sharks on Wednesday.
The Wildcats stayed perfect on the season, improving to 8-0 and 3-0 in the GNAC. Johnson & Wales hadn't beaten the Sharks since 2002, a streak of 21-straight losses. Simmons falls to 3-5, 2-1 in the GNAC as the Sharks had their streak of 77-consecutive wins over conference opponents and 60-straight regular season GNAC wins snapped.
JWU got off to a quick start as Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) swept number two doubles, 8-0. Next off the court was Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) with their 8-4 number three triumph. Completing the doubles sweep was Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) and Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) as they won 8-5 at number one.
JWU goes on the road Saturday to take on Suffolk at 3 p.m.
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Jessica Schroedl (SC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Nickie Nguyen (SC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Marissa Johnson (SC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Olivia Lakes (SC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Mai Driesen (SC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Michelle Medici (SC) 6-4, 6-1
1. Morgan Thompson/Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Olivia Lakes/Jessica Schroedl (SC) 8-5
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Nickie Nguyen/Marissa Johnson (SC) 8-0
3. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Michelle Medici/Mary Matthews (SC) 8-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 6
Simmons: 3-5, 2-1 GNAC
JWU: 8-0, 3-0 GNAC