DARTMOUTH, Mass. – For the fourth time this season, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team was perfect on the courts. The Wildcats swept UMass Dartmouth, 9-0, on Thursday.
The doubles tandem of Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) only lost one game in their 8-1 victory at number two. Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) faced little resistance at number three as they prevailed, 8-4. That was also the winning score for Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) and Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) at number one doubles.
Cohen made quick work in her singles match as she won 6-2, 6-0 over Molina Oung at number two. Clinching the team victory was Taylor Klein (Johnson, NY) with a 6-0, 6-0 win against Samantha Rollings at number three.
Johnson & Wales is back on the road Monday when it travels to Western New England for a 3:30 p.m. bout.
Johnson & Wales 9, UMass Dartmouth 0
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Jenna Lahaie (UMD) 2-6, 6-1, 10-1
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Mollie McCaffrey (UMD) 6-2, 6-0
3. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Jamie Fastino (UMD) 6-0, 6-0
4. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Samantha Rollings (UMD) 6-4, 6-3
5. Madison Hernandez def. Molina Oung (UMD) 6-1, 6-4
6. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Jillian Reichert (UMD) 7-6 (2), 6-2
1. Morgan Thompson/ Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Jenna Lahaie/ Jillian Reichert (UMD) 8-4
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Mollie McCaffrey / Jamie Fastino (UMD) 8-1
3. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Samantha Rollins / Kheyla Orival (UMD) 8-4
Johnson & Wales 7-0
UMass Dartmouth: 4-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,5,4,1,6)