WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – It was a relatively easy Friday afternoon for the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team. The Wildcats stayed undefeated (6-0) as they rolled by University of St. Joseph, 8-1.
Johnson & Wales swept all three doubles points without much resistance from the Blue Jays. The team of Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) won quickly at number three, 8-2. The Wildcats got identical 8-4 victories from the number one tandem of Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) and Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) as well as Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) at number two.
Thompson picked up the first singles victory as she rolled to a 6-0, 6-2 decision over Rebecca Mauri at number one. Wrapping up the team triumph was Taylor Klein (Johnson, NY) as she topped Ashley Savino, 6-0, 6-0 at number four. Lauren Torre (New Fairfield, Conn.) was a 6-2, 6-1 winner at number five and Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) was victorious at number six, 6-4, 6-4.
The Wildcats will play in a grass court tournament in Newport this weekend before getting back into team competition when they travel to UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday.
Johnson & Wales 8, St. Joseph 1
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Rebecca Mauri (USJ) 6-0, 6-2
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Lucy Roberge (USJ) 6-1, 6-3
3. Sakinah Abdulsalam (USJ) def. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) 0-6, Retired
4. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Ashley Savino (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
5. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Tara Smith (USJ) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 6-4, 6-4
1. Morgan Thompson/ Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Rebecca Mauri / Lucy Roberge (USJ) 8-4
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Sakinah Abdulsalam / Ashley Savino (USJ) 8-4
3. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Leah Nguyen/ Domonique Carnot (USJ) 8-2
Johnson & Wales 6-0, 2-0 GNAC
St. Joseph: 1-4, 0-2 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,3,5,2,6)