BOSTON – It was just another day at the office for the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team. The Wildcats were tested for the first time this season, but still came away with a 9-0 victory over UMass Boston on Saturday.
Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) rolled to an 8-2 victory at number three doubles and Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) partnered with Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) to win number two doubles, 8-4. At number one, the tandem of Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) and Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) came away with an 8-6 triumph.
Johnson & Wales completed the sweep by winning all six singles matches. Taylor Klein (Johnson, NY) was the first off the court as she beat Vicky Woytowicz, 6-0, 6-0, at number four. Cohen dropped Kathleen Conroy at number two, 6-1, 6-1, to lock up the fifth point.
The Wildcats are back in action on Tuesday when they travel to Bridgewater State for a 3:30 p.m. first serve.
Johnson & Wales 9, UMass Boston 0
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Kristy Garcia (UMB) 6-3, 6-2
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Kathleen Conroy (UMB) 6-1, 6-1
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Katie Gauthier (UMB) 6-4, 7-5
4. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Vicky Woytowicz (UMB) 6-0, 6-0
5. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Meghan Erickson (UMB) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Kelsey Shea (UMB) 6-2, 6-2
1. Morgan Thompson/Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Kristy Garcia/Katie Gauthier (UMB) 8-6
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Kelsey Shea/Vicky Woytowicz (UMB) 8-4|
3. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Kathleen Conroy/Meghan Erickson (UMB) 8-2
Johnson & Wales 3-0
UMass Boston 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,2,6,5,1,3)