Providence, R.I. – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team won their last match of the 2019 season. The Wildcats defeated crosstown rival, Rhode Island College, Tuesday afternoon, 6-3.
Johnson & Wales ended the year at 10-7 while the Anchormen dropped to 8-3.
Steven Heizler and Will Lyons defeated Chandler Scott and Michael Shea, 8-1, in the second doubles position for the first point. Alexander Rohana and Gianni Rodrigues defeated Alex Bourque and Alan Esposito, 8-4, at number one to give the Wildcats a 2-1 lead going into singles.
Rohana defeated Scott at the number two position, 6-1, 6-2. The Anchorman took the next two matches at the six and five spots to pull even, 3-3, but it wasn't enough to beat the Wildcats.
Lyons defeated Bourque 6-3, 6-0 at number one. Rodrigues topped Matthew Gambardelli 6-4, 6-2 at number three to clinch the team victory for the Wildcats. Heizler continued his winning ways, defeating Ethan Hoy, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4, at the number four position.
Head coach Devin Kitterick should have another formidable squad in 2020 as he does not have any seniors on this year's team.
1. Will Lyons (JWU) defeated Alex Bourque (RIC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Alexander Rohana (JWU) defeated Chandler Scott (RIC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) defeated Matt Gambardelli (RIC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Steven Heizler (JWU) defeated Ethan Hoy (RIC) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Michael Shea (RIC) defeated Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alan Esposito (RIC) defeated Brandon Case (JWU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Alexander Rohana/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) defeated Alex Bourque/Alan Espositio 8-4
2. Steven Heizler/Will Lyons (JWU) defeated Chandler Scott/Michael Shea (RIC) 8-1
3. Matthew Gambardelli/Ethan Hoy (RIC) defeated Robert Michalofsky/Brandon Case (JWU) 8-2
Rhode Island College: 8-3
Johnson & Wales: 10-7
Order of Finish:
Doubles (2,3,1) Singles (2,6,5,1,3,4)