BOSTON - The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team had a lead over UMass Boston after doubles but could not hold on for the victory. The Wildcats lost 7-2 to the Beacons.
Johnson & Wales fell to 9-6 while UMass Boston improved to 8-4.
UMB won the first doubles match at number three, but the Wildcats won the last two. At number one, Gianna Rodrigues and Alexander Rohana defeated Nandish Shah and Miguel Beltran 8-3. In the closest of the three doubles matches, Will Lyons and Steven Heizler held off a late challenge from Alexander Comerchero and Onkgopotse Mokoka to earn an 8-5 win at number two.
The Beacons took a 4-2 lead with wins at six, five and two singles. Some close first sets went UMass Boston's way and the hosts locked up the win with a triumph at number four.
Thursday's scheduled match against Rhode Island College has been postponed. JWU wraps up the regular season Saturday at Colby-Sawyer.
1. Nandish Shah (UMB) def. Will Lyons (JWU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Miguel Beltran (UMB) def. Alexander Rohana (JWU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Roy Platteel (UMB) def. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Alexander Comerchero (UMB) def. Steven Heizler (JWU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Ray Platteel (UMB) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Onkgopotse Mokoka (UMB) def. Joseph McGuigan (JWU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Gianni Rodrigues/Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Nandish Shah/Miguel Beltran (UMB) 8-3
2. Will Lyons/Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Alexander Comerchero/Onkgopotse Mokoka (UMB) 8-5
3. Ray Platteel/Roy Platteel (UMB) def. Robert Michalofsky/Brandon Case (JWU) 8-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,2,4,1,3)