Providence, R.I. – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team won for the fifth time in six outings. The Wildcats defeated Salem State Tuesday afternoon, 6-3, at Rhode Island College.
Johnson & Wales improved to 8-4 while the Vikings dropped to 2-4.
Steven Heizler and Brandon Case defeated Arman Chaharom and Johnson Ngandjui, 8-2, to get the first doubles win. Will Lyons and Gianni Rodrigues defeated Roni Bazile and Noah Hodgkins, 8-4, at number two. The Vikings got the final doubles point at number one.
Heizler secured the first singles point, winning 6-2, 6-1 at number five. Salem State won at number one, but JWU captured the next two bouts to get the team victory. Gianni Rodrigues defeated Noah Hodgkins, 7-6 (1), 6-1 at number four then at number two Alexander Rohana won 6-1, 6-2 at number two.
JWU goes on the road Thursday at Bridgewater State for a 3:45 pm match.
1. Andrew Muttiah (SSU) def. Will Lyons (JWU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Roni Bazile (SSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Chen Chen (SSU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Noah Hodgkins (SSU) 7-6 (1), 6-1
5. Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Arman Chaharom (SSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Johnson Ngandjui (SSU) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (4-10)
1. Andrew Muttiah/Chen Chen (SSU) def. Franz Fonck/Alexander Rohana (JWU) 8-6.
2. Gianni Rodrigues/Will Lyons (JWU) def. Roni Bazile/Noah Hodgkins (SSU) 8-4
3. Steven Heizler/Brandon Case (JWU) def. Arman Chaharom/Johnson Ngandjui (SSU) 8-2
Salem State: 2-4
Johnson & Wales: 8-4
Order of Finish:
Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (5,1,4,2,3,6)