RIVERSIDE, RI – With the match in the balance, Johnson & Wales University men's tennis player Alexander Rohana came through for his team. The Wildcats remained undefeated in the GNAC by beating Regis College, 5-4, on Saturday at Centre Court.
The win improved the Wildcats to 7-4 overall, 3-0 in the conference. Regis dropped to 6-10 with a 0-2 GNAC mark.
Johnson & Wales found itself down 2-1 after doubles. The lone JWU point came from number one where Rohana and Franz Fonck won 8-4.
The first singles match went to the Pride, but JWU won the next three to take a 4-3 lead. Gianni Rodrigues won 6-4, 6-2 at number four and Fonck was a 6-2, 6-3 winner at number three. Steven Heizler gave JWU the lead when he won at number five, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2.
Regis tied the match with a win at number one. All eyes turned to the second court where Rohana used a 7-5 win in the second set to catapult him to a 6-0 third set victory.
Johnson & Wales returns to the courts Tuesday to face Salem State at 3:30 p.m. That match will be played at Rhode Island College.
Johnson & Wales 5, Regis 4
Apr 06, 2019 at Rivierside, RI (Centre Court)
1. Nolan Bebarta (REGIS) def. Will Lyons (JWU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Sebastian Torres (REGIS) 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Johnny Pallotta (REGIS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Cam Charbonneau (REGIS) 6-4, 6-2
5. Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Mitchell Weiner (REGIS) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Evan Russell (REGIS) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Alexander Rohana/Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Nolan Bebarta/Johnny Pallotta (REGIS) 8-4
2. Owen Pelissier/Sebastian Torres (REGIS) def. Will Lyons/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 8-1
3. Matt DaRosso/Cam Charbonneau (REGIS) def. Brandon Case/Steven Heizler (JWU) 8-7 (7-2)
Regis 6-10, 0-2 GNAC
Johnson & Wales 7-4, 3-0 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,4,3,5,1,2)