SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis suffered a non-conference loss to Western New England University on Thursday. The Golden Bears defeated the Wildcats, 8-1.
JWU dropped to 6-4 while Western New England improved to 5-3.
Western New England swept all three doubles matches. Alexander Rohana and Franz Fonck lost a tight match at the number one spot, 8-7 (1). Will Lyons and Gianni Rodrigues also lost a close 8-5 decision at number two.
The Golden Bears won the first five singles matches to secure the team victory. JWU's only singles win came at number two where Rohana beat Hippolyte Bonnett, 7-5, 7-5.
The Wildcats are home on Saturday to take on Regis at 6 p.m. It's the team's Big Game as anyone who checks in with the CatPack app will be entered into a drawing for a Yeti tumbler.
- David Kalmer (WNEU) def. Will Lyons (JWU) 6-2, 6-1
- Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Hippolyte Bonnet (WNEU) 7-5, 7-5
- Justin Kohut (WNEU) def. Franz Fonck (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
- Griffin Arnold (WNEU) def. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
- Max Gordon (WNEU) def. Steven Heizler (JWU) 6-1, 6-0
- Michael Tran (WNEU) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-0, 6-1
- David Kalmer/Justin Kohut (WNEU) def. Alexander Rohana/Franz Fonck (JWU) 8-7 (1)
- Luke Surawski/Hippolyte Bonnet (WNEU) def. Will Lyons/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 8-5
- Joshua Jones/Matthew Russell (WNEU) def. Steven Heizler/Brandon Case (JWU) 8-2
Order of Finish:
Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (6,1,5,4,3,2)