NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. –The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team won their second match in a row this spring. The Wildcats went on the road to beat UMass Dartmouth, 7-2, on Wednesday.
The Wildcats got out to a hot start by taking two of the three doubles matches. Alexander Rohana and Frank Fonck were 8-5 winners at number one. At number three, Steven Heizler and Brandon Case won the tiebreaker, 7-3, for the 8-7 triumph. Will Lyons and Gianni Rodrigues lost at number two, 8-6.
The Wildcats took the momentum into singles. Steven Heizler got the first win, 6-3, 6-3, at number five. Franz Fonck was a 6-0, 6-2 winner at number three. Alexander Rohan fell in the first set, 1-6, to Tristan Viale, but was able to bounce back and win the match, 6-0, 6-1, to clinch the team victory.
Johnson & Wales will travel to Suffolk on Saturday for a 1 p.m. match.
Johnson & Wales 7, UMASS Dartmouth 2
1. Will Lyons (JWU) def. Eli Brooks (UMD) 6-3, 8-6
2. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Tristan Viale (UMD) 1-6, 6-0, 6-1
3. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Baylen Harper (UMD) 6-0, 6-2
4. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Anthony Joseph (UMD) 6-2, 7-5
5. Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Sean Nutter (UMD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Kyle Noseworthy (UMD) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 0-6, 6-4, 1-6
1. Alexander Rohana/Frank Fonck (JWU) def. Tristan Viale/Anthony Joseph (UMD) 8-5
2. Eli Brooks/Baylen Harper (UMD) def. Will Lyons/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 8-6
3. Steven Heizler/Brandon Case (JWU) def. Sean Nutter/Kyle Noseworthy (UMD) 8-7 (3)
Johnson & Wales 5-3
UMass Darmouth: 2-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,3,2,4,6,1)