NORTHFIELD, V.T. – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team came out on top in its first GNAC match of the year. The Wildcats went on the road to defeat Norwich University, 5-4.
The win improved the Wildcats to 4-3 overall, 1-0 in the league. The Cadets dropped to 5-6, 0-1 in the GNAC.
The Wildcats quickly went up on the Cadets by winning the first two doubles points. Alexander Rohana and Franz Fonck defeated the Cadets, 8-4, at number one. Will Lyons and Steven Heizler were victorious, 8-5, at number two.
JWU won the first three singles matches to claim the team victory. Heizler was the first one off with his 6-0, 6-4 win against Tim Santy at number four. Fonck prevailed at number three, 6-3, 6-2, over Sam Beiter. Rohana closed out the match by beating Alexi Gilmore at number two, 6-4, 6-1.
The Wildcats will travel to UMass Dartmouth Wednesday for a 3:30 p.m. match.
Johnson & Wales 5, Norwich 4
1. Dylan Ackerman (NU) def. Will Lyons (JWU) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Alexi Gilmore (NU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Sam Beiter (NU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Tim Santy (NU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Noah Stillman (NU) def. Brandon Case (JWU) 6-1, 3-6, 11-9
6. Tim Birnbaum (NU) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Franz Fonck/Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Alexi Gilmore/Same Beiter (NU) 8-4
2. Will Lyons/Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Dylan Ackerman/Noah Stillman (NU) 8-5
3. Tim Santy/Abbie Barker (NU) def. Brandon Case/Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 8-5
Johnson & Wales 4-3, 1-0 GNAC
Norwich 5-6, 0-1 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,2,1,5,6)