WENHAM, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team came up short against Gordon on Thursday evening. The Scots handed the Wildcats a 7-2 defeat.
The Wildcats quickly fell behind in doubles when Gordon defeated Steven Heizler and Robert Michalofsky in the number three spot, 8-2. JWU answered with an 8-2 victory of its own as Will Lyons and Gianni Rodrigues throttled the Scots at number two. Gordon got the edge after doubles as Alexander Rohana and Franz Fonck lost a hard fought match at number one, 8-5.
The Scots put the team triumph away by winning the first three singles matches at six, five and four. Fonck got JWU's lone singles triumph as he beat Kris Marineau, 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-7) at number three.
The Wildcats will travel to Norwich on Saturday for a 1 pm match.
Gordon 7, Johnson & Wales 2
1. Nathan Lookway (GC) def. Alexander Rohana (JWU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jonathan Frink (GC) def. Will Lyons (JWU) 7-6(3), 4-6, 10-3
3. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Kris Marineau (GC) 5-7, 6-0, 10-7
4. Will Jeffreys (GC) def. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Patrick Monahan (GC) def. Steven Heizler (JWU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Richard Ryzi (GC) def. Brandon Case (JWU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Nathan Lookway/Jonathan Frink (GC) def. Alexander Rohana/Franz Fonck (JWU) 8-5
2. Will Lyons/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU def. Kris Marineau/Patrick Monahan (GC) 8-2
3. Will Jeffreys/Richard Ryzi (GC) def. Steven Heizler/Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 8-2
Gordon College 2-7
Johnson & Wales 3-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,4,1,2,3)