MILTON, Mass. – Picking up where they left off in the fall, the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team was too much for Curry College. The Wildcats defeated the Colonels, 7-2, on Tuesday.
Johnson & Wales improved to 3-2 while Curry dropped to 0-5.
The Wildcats got out to a fast start by sweeping the Colonels in the doubles matches. Curry won the first singles point, but the Wildcats rallied to win three in a row and clinch the team victory.
Franz Fonck got the first victory, winning 6-3, 6-3 over Dawson Stento at number two. Steven Heizler also dropped first set to Curry's Lorenzo Russo, 4-6, then rallied to clinch the team victory by winning the next two sets, 6-2 and 6-4.
Johnson & Wales travels to Gordon Thursday for 7:30 pm match.
Johnson & Wales 7, Curry 2
March 19, 2019 Milton, Mass.
1. Aiden Roach (CC) def. Alexander Rohana (JWU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Dawson Stento (CC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Richie Hefler (CC) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Lorenzo Russo (CC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Dan Ritucci (CC) def. Brandon Case (JWU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) def. Tim O'Brien (CC) 7-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Alexander Rohana/Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Aiden Roach/Richie Hefler (CC) 8-2
2. Gianni Rodrigues/Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Dawson Stento/Lorenzo Russo (CC) 8-7 (12-10)
3. Brandon Case/Robert Michalofsy (JWU) def. Dan Ritucci/Tim O'Brien (CC) 8-6
Johnson & Wales 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,4,3,6,5)