NEWPORT, RI – It was a good ending to the fall season for the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team. The Wildcats went on the road to beat Salve Regina, 7-2, on Sunday.
JWU ended the first half of its season with a 2-2 record. The Seahawks dropped to 0-3.
The Wildcats got out to a hot start by taking two of the three doubles matches. Steven Heizler and Will Lyons put up a goose egg at number two. Brandon Case and Robert Michalofsky were 8-5 winners at number three.
Heizler was the first one off the court in singles, 6-0, 6-2 over Matthew Newfield. Michalofsky topped Kevin Hunt, 6-1, 6-3 at number four. Completing the team victory was Franz Fonck at number three with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Aaron White.
Johnson & Wales resumes the spring season March 19 when it hosts Curry.
Johnson & Wales 7, Salve Regina 2
1. Will Lyons (JWU) def. D.J. Bisaillon (SRU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Matthew Newfield (SRU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Aaron White (SRU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) def. Kevin Hunt (SRU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Brandon Case (JWU) def. Alexander Azary (SRU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Clarke Dipiazza (SRU) def. Joseph McGuigan (JWU) 6-2, 6-2
1. D.J. Bisaillon/Aaron White (SRU) def. Franz Fonck/Alexander Rohana (JWU) 8-4
2. Steven Heizler/Will Lyons (JWU) def. Alexander Azary/Matthew Newfield (SRU) 8-0
3. Brandon Case/Robert Michalofsky (JWU) def. Clarke Dipiazza/Drew Marzano (SRU) 8-5
Johnson & Wales 2-2
Salve Regina 0-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,6,3,1,5)