PROVIDENCE, RI – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team took two of three doubles points and that made the difference against Wentworth. The Wildcats defeated the Leopards, 5-4, on Sunday at the Rhode Island College tennis courts.
JWU picked up its first win of the year to improve to 1-1 while WIT lost its season opener.
Will Lyons and Steven Heizler prevailed 8-4 at number two doubles then Wentworth was victorious at number three. The tiebreaker went to the Wildcats with Alexander Rohana and Franz Fonck winning 8-6 at number one.
The Leopards got the first singles win, but Heizler gave JWU the lead back with his 6-2, 6-2 victory against Alex Mularski at number three. Fonck put JWU up 4-2 when he triumphed 6-1, 6-4 against Tristan Maus at number four. WIT won at number six to get within a point, but Lyons secured the team win with his 6-3, 6-3 win at number one.
The Wildcats continue their fall slate next Sunday at Emerson.
Johnson & Wales 5, Wentworth 4
Sep 30, 2018 at Providence, RI (Rhode Island College)
1. Will Lyons (JWU) def. Tyler Hall (WIT) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jarrett North (WIT) def. Alexander Rohana (JWU) 6-7, 2-1, retired
3. Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Alex Mularski (WIT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Tristan Maus (WIT) 6-1, 6-4
5. Harrison Maki (WIT) def. Joseph McGuigan (JWU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Samuel Ferro (WIT) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Alexander Rohana/Franz Fonck (JWU) def. Tyler Hall/Tristan Maus (WIT) 8-6
2. Will Lyons/Steven Heizler (JWU) def. Alex Mularski/Harrison Maki (WIT) 8-4
3. Jarrett North/Mun Chet (WIT) def. Robert Michalofsky/Brandon Case (JWU) 8-2
Johnson & Wales 1-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,4,6,1,2)