WESTON, Mass. – A return trip to the GNAC Championship match was not in the cards for the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team. The Wildcats lost, 5-1, at Regis on Saturday in the semifinals.
The loss ends JWU's season at 4-6. Regis improved to 13-5 and goes on to play Ramapo in the GNAC finals.
Regis won 6-1, 6-0 at number six singles. JWU got its first point when Gunnar Mahoney was a 6-3, 6-3 winner at number four over Cam Charbonneau. The Pride wrapped up the match with a 6-3, 6-2 decision at number five.
Head coach Devin Kitterick should have a good squad next season as he only loses Schiele and Jack Hopkins from the starting lineup.
Apr 29, 2018 at Weston, Mass.
(Regis Tennis Center)
Regis 5, Johnson & Wales 1
1. Chris Harrow (RC) vs. Ryan Schiele (JWU) unfinished
2. Luke Horton (RC) vs. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) unfinished
3. Alexander Rohana (JWU) vs. Nolan Bebarta (RC) unfished
4. Gunnar Mahoney (JWU) def. Cam Charbonneau (RC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Johnny Pallotta (RC) def. Jack Hopkins (JWU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Mitchell Weinerl (RC) def. Marco Saldierna (JWU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Chris Harrow/Luke Horton (RC) def. Ryan Schiele/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 9-8 (2)
2. Nolan Bebarta/Johnny Pallotta (RC) def. Alexander Rohana/Gunnar Mahoney (JWU) 8-3
3. Kyle Dugat/Owen Pelissier (RC) def. Jack Hopkins/Marco Saldierna (JWU) 8-1
Johnson & Wales: 4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5)