BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team picked up some momentum going into Saturday's GNAC semifinal. The Wildcats went on the road to defeat Bridgewater State, 6-3, on Thursday.
The win upped the Wildcats' record to 4-6 while the Bears dipped to 1-7.
Johnson & Wales started the day by taking two of three doubles points. Ryan Schiele and Gianni Rodrigues prevailed 8-4 at number one then Jack Hopkins and Robert Kliskey triumphed at number two by the same score.
The Wildcats won the first three singles contests to claim the team victory. Alexander Rohana was a 6-0, 6-0 winner at number three singles. At number four, Hopkins produced a 6-0, 6-2 victory. Rodrigues won the deciding point, 6-1, 6-3 at number two.
Johnson & Wales travels to Regis on Saturday for the GNAC Tournament semifinals. The Pride won the regular season meeting, 6-3, on April 21.
Johnson & Wales University 6, Bridgewater State University 3
Apr 26, 2018 at Bridgewater, Mass. (Rosen Memorial Tennis Courts)
1. Ryan Schiele/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Justin Haley/Zachary Mutti (BSU) 8-4
2. Jack Hopkins/Robert Kliskey (JWU) def. Michael Scollins/Joshua Bean (BSU) 8-4
3. Dan O'Malley/Ross Bloomfield (BSU) def. Joseph McGuigan/Brandon Case (JWU) 9-8 (7-5)
1. Justin Haley (BSU) def. Ryan Schiele (JWU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-5
2. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Michael Scollins (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Dan O'Malley (BSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Zachary Mutti (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Joshua Bean (BSU) def. Andrew Greenleaf (JWU) 6-3, 5-7, 10-6
6. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) def. Ross Bloomfield (BSU) 6-2, 6-0
Johnson & Wales:4-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,4,2,6,5,1)