PROVIDENCE, RI – Needing a win to advance to the GNAC North Championship match, the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team took care of business. The Wildcats defeated Norwich University, 8-1, on Sunday.
Johnson & Wales improved to 3-5 and 2-1 in the conference to break a logjam. The Cadets dropped to 4-5, 0-3 in the league.
The Wildcats got out to a fast start, winning all three doubles by the exact same score, 8-2. Ryan Schiele and Gianni Rodrigues were the first ones off at number one. The number two tandem of Gunnar Mahoney and Alexander Rohana followed then the senior team of Jack Hopkins and Robert Kliskey completed the sweep.
Rodrigues was the first one off in singles as he beat Alexi Gilmore, 6-1, 6-2 at number two. Hopkins wrapped up the team point when he posted a 6-1, 6-0 decision at number five.
JWU tunes up with a pair of non-conference games before a rematch with Regis in the North championship game on Saturday.
1. Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. Dylan Ackerman (NOR) 6-1, 6-2
2. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Alexi Gilmore (NOR) 6-1, 6-2
3. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. M. Muthukumaraswany (NOR) 6-4, 6-1
4. Gunnar Mahoney (JWU) def. Timothy Birnbaum (NOR) 6-4, 6-0
5. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Tripp Wilson (NOR) 6-1, 6-0
6. Noah Stillman (NOR) def. Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 6-4, 6-4
1. Ryan Schiele/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Alexi Gilmore/Dylan Ackerman (NOR) 8-2
2. Gunnar Mahoney/Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Noah Stillman/Tripp Wilson (NOR) 8-2
3. Jack Hopkins/Robert Kliskey (JWU) def. M. Muthukumaraswany/Timothy Birnbaum (NOR) 8-2
Norwich University 4-5, 0-3 GNAC
Johnson & Wales 3-5 ,2-1 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,5,3,4,1,6)