WESTON, Mass. –The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team dug itself a hole it couldn't climb out of at Regis on Saturday. The Wildcats split the singles matches but lost all three doubles bouts in the 6-3 defeat to the Pride.
The loss dropped JWU to 2-5 overall, 1-1 in the GNAC. Regis improved to 12-5 and won the GNAC North regular season with a 3-0 mark.
Trailing 3-0 after doubles, the Wildcats got the first singles win when Jack Hopkins won 6-1, 6-1 at number five over Matt DaRosso. Alexander Rohana pulled JWU within 4-2 with his 6-3, 6-2 triumph over Cam Charbonneau at number three. The Pride got the deciding point before Gunnar Mahoney won 6-4, 6-2 at number four.
The Wildcats are back on the court Sunday when they host Norwich at 1 p.m. at Rhode Island College.
Apr 21, 2018 at Weston, Mass.
(Regis Tennis Center)
Regis (Mass.) 6, Johnson & Wales 3
1. Chris Harrow (RC) def. Ryan Schiele (JWU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Luke Horton (RC) def. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Cam Charbonneau (RC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Gunnar Mahoney (JWU) def. Owen Pelissier (RC) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Matt DaRosso (RC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Evan Russell (RC) def. Robert Kliskey (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Chris Harrow/Luke Horton (RC) def. Ryan Schiele/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) 8-4
2. Nolan Bebarta/Johnny Pallotta (RC) def. Alexander Rohana/Gunnar Mahoney (JWU) 8-3
3. Tim Miller/Mitchell Weiner (RC) def. Jack Hopkins/Robert Kliskey (JWU) 8-1
Johnson & Wales 2-5, 1-1 GNAC
Regis (Mass.) 12-5, 3-0 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,1,3,2,4,6)