MILTON, Mass. – It was a relatively easy afternoon for the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team. The Wildcats went on the road to down Curry College, 8-1, on Thursday.
Johnson & Wales jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles points. Marco Saldierna and Jack Hopkins only dropped one game on their way to an 8-1 triumph at number three. It was identical 8-3 victories at number two by Gunnar Mahoney and Alexander Rohana as well as a number one victory by Ryan Schiele and Gianni Rodrigues.
GNAC Rookie of the Week Mahoney got the first singles win as he won 6-0, 6-1 at number four over Nicholas Piotrowski. Sophomore Alexander Rohana wrapped up the team match with his 6-1, 6-3 triumph at number three over Richi Hefler.
JWU gets back into conference action Saturday when it hosts Norwich at 1 p.m. at Centre Court in Riverside.
Johnson & Wales 8, Curry 1
April 12, 2018 at Milton, Mass.
1. Aidan Roach (CC) def. Ryan Schiele (JWU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Dawson Stento (CC) 7-5, 7-6 (4)
3. Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Richie Hefler (CC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Gunnar Mahoney (JWU) def. Nicholas Piotrowski (CC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Zach Muller 6-2, 6-2
6. Marco Saldierna (JWU) def. Daniel Ritucci (CC) 6-3, 7-5
1. Ryan Schiele/Gianni Rodrigues (JWU) def. Aidan Roach/ Dawson Stento (CC) 8-3
2. Gunnar Mahoney/Alexander Rohana (JWU) def. Richie Hefler/ Nicholas Piotrowski (CC) 8-3
3. Marco Saldierna /Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Zach Muller/ Daniel Ritucci (CC) 8-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1) / Singles (4,1,3,5,6,2)
Johnson & Wales: 2-4