RIVERSIDE, RI – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team took the first step towards a GNAC Championship by defeating Suffolk in the semifinals on Saturday. The Wildcats won all three doubles points then captured the first two singles matches on their way to the 5-0 triumph.
Johnson & Wales improved to 10-2. The Rams ended the season at 2-8.
Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Taylor Farmer (Carmel, Ind.) got the day started by shutting out their opponents, 8-0, at number two. Next off the court was Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) and Tyler Dupee (Middletown, NY) as they won their number three match, 8-3. Wrapping up the sweep was the senior tandem of Andre Barbero (Briell, NJ) and Nicholas Auffret (Holtsville, NY) with their 8-4 triumph at number one.
Barbero produced the first singles victory when he beat Francesco Saia, 6-1, 6-0 at number one. Clinching the team victory was Auffret at number two as he won 6-1, 6-1.
Up next for the Wildcats is the GNAC championship match. Johnson & Wales will host Ramapo at Centre Court next Saturday at 1 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 5, Suffolk 0
April 29, 2017 at Riverside, RI (Centre Court)
1. Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Francesco Saia (SUF) 6-1, 6-0
2. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) def. Chris Parnagian (SUF) 6-1, 6-1
3. Ryan Schiele (JWU) vs. Cameron Roach (SUF) 6-3, unfinished
4. Taylor Farmer (JWU) vs. Jacob Duggan (SUF) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
5. Tyler Dupee (JWU) vs. Kevin Clavijo (SUF) 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
6. Jack Hopkins (JWU) vs. Kevin Greenman (SUF) 6-5, unfinished
1. Nicholas Auffret/Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Francesco Saia/Jacob Duggan (SUF) 8-4
2. Ryan Schiele/Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Chris Parnagian/Cameron Roach (SUF) 8-0
3. Jack Hopkins/Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Kevin Greenman/Rami Esrawi (SUF) 8-3
Johnson & Wales 10-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2)