MILTON, Mass. – With the conference tournament starting on Saturday, the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team warmed up by defeating Curry College. The Wildcats swept doubles on their way to a 7-2 victory on Thursday.
Johnson & Wales ended the regular season with a 9-2 record. The Colonels dropped to 7-12.
The senior tandem of Andre Barbero (Briell, NJ) and Nicholas Auffret (Holtsville, NY) won easily as they prevailed 8-1. Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) and Tyler Dupee (Middletown, NY) were the next two off the court as they won at number three, 8-2. Rounding out the sweep was Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Taylor Farmer (Carmel, Ind.) with their 8-5 win at number two.
Barbero rolled to a win in the first set then had to battle in the second as he downed Ryan Sullivan, 6-0, 7-6 at number one. The deciding point was won by Dupee as he bested Ben Higgins at number four, 6-3, 6-1.
Johnson & Wales hosts the semifinals of the GNAC Tournament on Saturday when Suffolk comes to town for a 2 p.m. match at Centre Court in Riverside.
Johnson & Wales 7, Curry 2
1. Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Ryan Sullivan (CC) 6-0, 7-5
2. Dawson Stento (CC def. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Richie Hefler (CC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Ben Higgins (CC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Zach Muller (CC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Daniel Ritucci (CC) def. Dan Przybylski (JWU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
1. Nicholas Auffret/Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Ryan Sullivan /Richie Hefler (CC) 8-1
2. Ryan Schiele/Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Dawson Stento/Ben Higgins (CC) 8-5
3. Jack Hopkins/Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Zach Muller/Daniel Ritucci (CC) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,4,3,6,5,2)