PROVIDENCE, RI – Normally the courts at Rhode Island College are a home away from home for the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team. On Thursday, the Wildcats were actually the visitors, but they played liked the home team as they shut out the Anchormen, 9-0
The Wildcats upped their record to 5-2 while RIC fell to 3-6.
The Wildcats steamrolled the Anchormen in doubles as they only dropped two games in all three matches. Nicholas Auffret (Holtsville, NY) and Andre Barbero (Brielle, NJ) won 8-0 at number one and that was the same score for Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Taylor Farmer (Carmel, Ind.) at number two. Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) and Tyler Dupee (Middletown, NY) completed the doubles sweep with an 8-2 triumph at number three.
Singles were just as easy for the Wildcats as Barbero dominated William Tavaraes, 6-0, 6-0 at number one. Completing the team victory was Auffret with a 6-1, 6-2 win at number two.
Johnson & Wales will take on Wentworth at 6 p.m. on Saturday. It's senior day for the Wildcats as well as their Big Game with giveaways for all fans in attendance.
Johnson & Wales 9, Rhode Island College 0
1. Andre Barbero (JWU) def. William Tavares (RIC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) def. Chandler Scott (RIC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. Lee Tiberi (RIC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Matthew Gambardella (RIC) 6-2, 7-5
5. Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Cory Duquette (RIC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Alan Esposito (RIC) 6-4, 6-4
1. Nicholas Auffret/Andre Barbero (JWU) def. William Tavares / Lee Tiberi (RIC) 8-0
2. Taylor Farmer/Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. handler Scott / Cory Duquette (RIC) 8-0
3. Tyler Dupee/Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Matthew Gambardella / Alan Esposito (RIC) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,5,3,4,6)