PROVIDENCE, RI – While it wasn't ideal tennis weather, the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team was red hot on Thursday. The Wildcats posted a 7-2 victory over UMass Dartmouth.
Johnson & Wales upped its record to 3-1 while the Corsairs fell to 1-5.
The Wildcats cruised to all three doubles victories. Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Taylor Farmer (Carmel, Ind.) prevailed 8-2 at number three and that was the same winning score at number one for Nicholas Auffret (Holtsville, NY) and Andre Barbero (Brielle, NJ). Wrapping up the sweep was Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) and Tyler Dupee (Middletown, NY) with their 8-3 win.
The first singles win came from GNAC Player of the Week Barbero as he won 6-0, 6-1 at number one over Corey Rafter. The clinching point for the team victory came at number two from Auffret with a 6-3, 6-0 decision against Anthony Joseph.
The Wildcats are on the road for their next three games, starting with a 4 p.m. game at Suffolk on Saturday.
Johnson & Wales 7, UMass Dartmouth 2
1. Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Corey Rafter (UMD) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) def. Anthony Joseph (UMD) 6-3, 6-0
3. Patrick Pacheco (UMD) def. Taylor Farmer (JWU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. Justin Torres (UMD) 6-0, 6-3
5. Summer Forest-Bulley (UMD) def. Tyler Dupee (JWU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Mark Desmon (UMD) 6-1, 6-1
1. Nicholas Auffret/Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Corey Rafter/Anthony Joseph (UMD) 8-2
2. Taylor Farmer/Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. Patrick Pacheco/Justin Torres (UMD) 8-2
3. Tyler Dupee/Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Summer Forest-Bulley/Mark Desmon (UMD) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,4,6,3,5)