WESTON, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team opened the fall campaign on Sunday. The Wildcats dropped a 9-0 decision at Regis.
Johnson & Wales dropped all three doubles points, but almost pulled out the victory at number three. Juniors Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) lost the tiebreaker 9-7 to Luke Horton and Kyle Dugat.
The Wildcats best chances at singles victories came at number three and five. Freshman Franz Fonk lost in the third set super tiebreaker in the 6-2, 5-7, 10-5 defeat. Schiele dropped his number five singles bout, 7-6, 6-4, to Matt Quattrociocchi.
Johnson & Wales plays in the 2016 Grass Court Championships in Newport on October 1 then traves to Western New England on October 3.
1. Chris Harrow (RC) def. Andre Barbero (JWU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Luke Horton (RC) def. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Nolan Bebarta (RC) def. Franz Fonk (JWU) 6-2, 5-7, 10-5
4. Jarid Polley (RC) def. Taylor Farmer (JWU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matt Quattrociocchi (RC) def. Ryan Schiele (JWU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Jeremy Morgenbesser (RC) def. Tyler Dupee (JWU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Chris Harrow/Matt Quattrociocchi (RC) def. Andre Barbero/Nicholas Auffret (JWU) 8-4
2. Jarid Polley/Nolan Bebarta (RC) def. Franz Fonk/Taylor Farmer (JWU) 8-3
3. Luke Horton/Kyle Dugat (RC) def. Ryan Schiele/Jack Hopkins (JWU) 9-8 (9-7)
Johnson & Wales: 0-1
Regis (Mass.): 2-2