WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – After a tough battle on Tuesday, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team cruised to victory on Wednesday. The Wildcats went on the road to blank Saint Joseph, 9-0
Johnson & Wales improved to 8-4 overall, 4-2 in the GNAC and secured a first-round home game during next week's GNAC quarterfinals. The Blue Jays fell to 1-7 overall and 0-6 in the conference.
The Wildcats made quick work of doubles as they swept all three matches. Freshman Kourtney Moore was the first one off the court in singles as she defeated Dominque Cornot, 6-0, 6-2 at number four. Securing the team victory was Delaney Macchirole at number three with a 6-0, 6-0 win against Ashely Savino.
JWU wraps up conference play on Saturday when it hosts Regis at 5:15 p.m. at Centre Court in Riverside.
Eastern Nazarene 5, Johnson & Wales 4
Oct. 9, 2018 at Quincy, Mass. (ENC Tennis Courts)
1. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Lucy Roberge (USJ) 6-4, 6-1
2. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Leah Nguyen (USJ) 6-3, 62
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Ashley Savino (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Dominque Cornot (USJ)) 6-0, 6-2
5. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
6. Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 6-1, 6-4
1. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Lucy Roberge/Ashley Savino (USJ) 8-4
2. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) Dominque Cornot/Leah Nguyen (USJ) 8-2
3. Lauren Torre/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Emily McAllister/Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 8-2
Johnson & Wales: 8-4, 4-2 GNAC
Saint Joseph: 1-7, 0-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,3,1,6,2,5)