NORTH READING, Mass. – Strong doubles play set the tone for the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team on Saturday. The Wildcats swept doubles on their way to a 7-2 victory against Suffolk.
The Wildcats improved to 7-3 overall, 3-1 in the GNAC. The Rams dropped to 4-7, 2-4 in the league.
Lauren Torre and Katherine Ledesma tore through their number three doubles match, winning 8-0. Claire Parry and Drew Bobey had nearly as easy as a time with an 8-1 decision at number two. Completing the sweep was the number one tandem of Delaney Macchirole and Kourtney Moore with their 8-4 decision.
The Wildcats got the two points it needed for the team triumph before the Rams got on the board. At number six singles, Gabriela Velazquez was a 6-1, 6-0 winner over Jordan Miller. Moore completed the sweep with her 6-0, 6-4 win versus Kendall Smith at number four.
JWU wraps up the regular season with four matches next week, starting at Eastern Nazarene on Monday at 3 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 7, Suffolk 2
Oct. 6, 2018 at North Reading, Mass. (North Reading HS
1. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Delaney Dunlap (SUF) 6-3, 6-3
2. Ilda Ascic (SUF) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Elena Cisneros Garci (SUF) def. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (2)
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Kendall Smith (SUF) 6-0, 6-4
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Meagan French (SUF) 6-3, 6-4
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Jordan Miller (SUF) 6-1, 6-0
1. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Ilda Ascic/Delaney Dunlap (SUF) 8-4
2. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Elena Cisneros Garci/Kendall Smith (SUF) 8-1
3. Lauren Torre/Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Meagan French/Jordan Miller 8-0
Johnson & Wales 7-3, 3-1 GNAC
Suffolk: 4-7, 2-4 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,1,2,5,4)