RIVERSIDE, RI – Picking up where it left off Saturday, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team was too much for Western New England on Monday. The Wildcats defeated the Bears, 7-2, at Center Court.
Johnson & Wales improved to 2-0 while WNEU dropped its season opener.
The two teams split number two and three doubles. Drew Bobey and Claire Parry got JWU its first point when they won 8-2 at number two. Breaking the tie was the number one tandem of Delaney Macchirole and Kourtney Moore as they posted a 9-7 triumph.
JWU built a 3-1 lead when Moore recorded a 6-0, 6-0 win against Jessica Cote at number four. Parry was a 6-0, 6-4 winner at number one and Macchirole wrapped up the team victory with her 6-0, 6-0 win at number three.
After an exhibition against Providence College on Thursday, the Wildcats are back on the court Saturday at Endicott.
Johnson & Wales 7, Western New England 2
Sept 03, 2018 at Riverside, RI (Centre Court)
1. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Maylene LaPress (WNE) 6-0, 6-4
2. Morgan Schrader (WNE) def. Lauren Torre (JWU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Petra Martinelli (WNE) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Jessica Cote (WNE) 6-0, 6-0
5. Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Rachel Bauer (WNE) 6-1, 6-2
6. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Janet Martinelli (WNE) 6-1, 6-3
1. Delaney Macchirole/Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Maylene LaPress/Morgan Schrader (WNE) 9-7
2. Drew Bobey/Claire Parry (JWU) def. Petra Martinelli/Kyra Palumbo (WNE) 8-2
3. Rachel Bauer/Janet Martinelli (WNE) def. Victoria Pizzulo/Lily Votta (JWU) 8-2
Western New England 0-1
Johnson & Wales 2-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,2,1,3,5,6)