RIVERSIDE, R.I. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis needed to win one of its last two conference matches to secure the top seed in next week's GNAC Championship. The Wildcats didn't waste their first opportunity as they topped Suffolk, 9-0, on Wednesday at Centre Court.
Johnson & Wales improved to 11-1 overall, 5-0 in the GNAC. Suffolk dropped to 7-5, 3-2 in the league. As the top seed in the tournament, JWU gets a bye into the semifinals, which will be held at 2 p.m. on October 21 at the Winchester Tennis Center.
The Wildcats started the day by sweeping the doubles matches. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) were 8-3 winners at number one. Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) posted an 8-4 triumph at number two. Thapenga Flores (Pasadena, Texas) and Claire Parry (Westport, Conn.) completed the doubles sweep with their 9-7 win at number three.
Johnson & Wales quickly wrapped up the team victory with a trio of 6-0, 6-0 victories. Macchirole was the first one off the court as she defeated Keely Hardy at number four. Cohen, the GNAC Player of the Week, defeated Delaney Dunlap at number one. Senior Taylor Klein (Johnson, N.Y.) also posted a pair of goose eggs at number two versus Elena Cisneros Garica.
JWU wraps up its GNAC slate on Saturday at Centre Court when it hosts Mount Ida at 2 p.m.
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Delaney Dunlap (SUF) 6-0, 6-0
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Elena Cisneros Garcia (SUF) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Isabel Rathlev (SUF) 6-4, 6-2
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Keely Hardy (SUF) 6-0, 6-0
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Danlyn Medou (SUF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Meagan French (SUF) 7-5, 6-1
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Elena Cisneros Garci/Isabel Rathlev (SUF) 8-3
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Keely Hardy/Delaney Dunlap (SUF) 8-4
3. Thapenga Flores/Claire Parry (JWU) def. Danlyn Medou/Ahilya Malhoutra (SUF) 9-7
Johnson & Wales 11-1, 5-0 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,2,6,5,3)