BOSTON, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team remained on top of the GNAC standings thanks to a big victory on Saturday. The Wildcats went on the road to defeat second-place Simmons, 9-0.
JWU is undefeated in the league at 4-0, 10-1 overall, with a one-game advantage in the standings. The Wildcats need to win one of their final two GNAC games to secure at least a share of the regular season championship.
The doubles matches were close, but the Wildcats pulled out the sweep. The number two tandem of Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) were the first ones off as they won 8-5. Next it was Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) as they prevailed 8-4 at number one. Thapenga Flores (Pasadena, Texas) and Claire Parry (Westport, Conn.) won the tiebreaker, 9-7, to take number three doubles, 9-8.
Johnson & Wales cruised to the first two singles victories to clinch the team triumph. Hernandez posted a 6-0, 6-2 win over Celia Speth at number five and Olson was a 6-0, 6-1 winner at number six against Olivia Lake.
The Wildcats are home to face Suffolk at 3 p.m. on Wednesday.
Johnson & Wales 9, Simmons 0
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Jessica Schroedl (SIM) 6-0, 6-2
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Nickie Nguyen (SIM) 6-0, 6-3
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Marissa Johnson (SIM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Michelle Medici (SIM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Celia Speth (SIM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Olivia Lakes (SIM) 6-0, 6-1
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Jessica Schroedl/Olivia Lakes (SIM) 8-4
2. Madison Hernandez/Holly Olson (JWU) def. Nickie Nguyen/Marissa Johnson (SIM) 8-5
3. Claire Parry/Thapenga Flores (JWU) def. Paola Rios/Celia Speth (SIM) 9-8 (7)
Johnson & Wales 10-1, 4-0 GNAC
Simmons College 7-5, 3-2 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,4,1,3,2)