MILTON, Mass. – The Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team came out strong in doubles and that momentum carried JWU to victory. The Wildcats went on the road to defeat Curry, 9-0, on Tuesday.
Johnson & Wales improved to 2-0. The Colonels dropped to 0-1.
The Wildcats did not drop a single game in either number one or two doubles. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) posted a goose egg at number one as did Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) at number two. Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) and Gabriela Velazquez (La Romana, DR) recorded an 8-2 victory at number three to complete the sweep.
The newly named GNAC Player of the Week, Cohen ripped through her singles bout as she beat Sidara Cash-Sortwell, 6-0, 6-0 at number one. Giving the Wildcats the deciding team point was Hernandez at number five as she dispatched of April Miller, 6-0, 6-0
Next up for the Wildcats is a trip across town to play Providence at 3 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 9, Curry 0
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Sidara Cash-Sortwell (CC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Katelyn Harrington 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Alexis Mclea-Perry (CC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Stephanie Leblanc (CC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. April Miller (CC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Kelsie Merrill (CC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Katelyn Harrington / Alexis Mclea-Perry (CC) 8-0
2. Holly Olson/ Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Sidara Cash-Sortwell / April Miller (CC) 8-0
3. Ashley Hartford/Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Stephanie Leblanc / Kelsie Merrill (CC) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,5,6,4,2,3)